Visit the town of Selbyville and enjoy the benefits of a small community within just a few miles of several family friendly resort towns and beautiful sun-soaked beaches of Delaware and Maryland.
Selbyville traces its history back to its founding in 1778. The town was originally known as Sandy Branch due to its location at the head of the St. Martin's River, where a grist mill and saw mill operated. The name was later changed to Selbyville for Sampson Selby, who in 1842 had a country store known as Selby-Ville. It was incorporated in 1902 and by 1918 Selbyville had become a major supplier of strawberries for the entire east coast until the 1930s.
The town’s library is of great historical significance. Constructed in 1904, it was once the home of agricultural pioneer and statesman John G. Townsend, Jr. Townsend was Delaware's Governor from 1917 to 1921 and also served as United States Senator from 1929 – 1941, and member of the delegation to the first session of the United Nations General Assembly in 1946. Notable visitors to his then home included former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and future President Richard Nixon. Following his death, the Townsend family donated the house to the town to use as its library.
In 2005, the town opened a Railroad Museum, which houses artifacts from the earliest town agricultural days to police memorabilia of the late 20th century. The collection includes old telegraph and Teletype machines, bank teller windows, Cozy Coop chicken crates and a replica of the building, which was once used as town hall.
A little known fact: Selbyville is home of the Mumford Sheet Metal Works, which in 1950 held the world record for the largest frying pan!